Monday, January 6, 2014

Neureuther Tops Slalom Podium in Bormio

After a fantastic second run, where he found the right balance between attacking and making no mistakes, Felix Neureuther beat Marcel Hirscher and clenched his first victory of the season. Manfred Moellg made the Italian crowd go wild as he moved up from seventh place into third, rounding up the podium.
"It wasn’t an easy end of the year, I was dealing with lots of injuries so I couldn’t have asked for a better way to start this new 2014", an extremely happy Neureuther said.
"I new I really needed to attack in the second run, I have been in this situation before – Marcel and I would be very close after the first run and than he would just put the hammer down so now it was my turn to do the same. It’s a great boost of confidence for the upcoming slalom races this month", he continued.
Hirscher came third in his only previous World Cup slalom race in Bormio as a 19-year-old in March 2008. It was his second career World Cup podium and today, almost five years later was happy to keep the podiums coming.
"A second place is still a really good result, in the second run I think I still skied well but I made a few small mistakes and this is a hill that doesn’t tolerate any. Felix had an awesome run, I saw him ski the first pitch and his run was perfect (...) It was tough for the Bormio crew to prepare the slope and I want to thank them. It has been raining cats and dogs the day before the race and we all thought we will ski in soft conditions, but even though it was not perfect, conditions were still really, really good".
The big surprise of the day came from Japan’s favorite, Naoki Yuasa who clocked the fastest time of the second run and moved up 22 places, going from 26th into just of the podium in fourth.

No comments: