On November 22, 2013, over 300 contestants will descend upon Vail Resorts’ mountains in Colorado and Lake Tahoe to officially start the Epic Race. The Epic Race is a season-long competition to visit all 26 resorts spread across four countries that make up the Epic Pass. The reward: The first 10 participants to complete the adventure win a lifetime Epic Pass.
"The participation in the Epic Race has completely exceeded our expectations,”said Vail Resorts chief marketing officer, Kirsten Lynch.“With over three hundred racers, it’s clear that the eyes of the ski and snowboard world will be on the Epic Race when it kicks off with the openings of Vail and Heavenly on Friday".
Each racer will need to ski or ride all 26 resorts on the Epic Pass (Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin and Eldora in Colorado; Canyons in Park City, Utah; Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood at Lake Tahoe; Afton Alps, Minnesota; Mt. Brighton, Michigan; Verbier, Switzerland; Arlberg, Austria – St. Anton, Lech, Zürs, St. Christoph and Stuben; and Les 3 Vallées, France – Courchevel, La Tania, Méribel, Brides-les-Bains, Les Menuires, Saint Martin de Belleville, Val Thorens and Orelle). Epic Racers will be asked to document and share their experience at each resort to be eligible to win. After all resorts have been visited, all content will be verified. Winners will be determined upon completion of the race and verification of compliance with the Official Rules. Registration for the race closed on Nov. 17, 2013.
"Registration is closed, so you can’t participate in the Epic Race, but you can have the same type of experience by buying your Epic Pass before time runs out", said Lynch.
Follow the #EpicRace on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and at www.epicrace.epicpass.com. A leader board will chronicle the top contenders. Some of the best stories to emerge from the registration process include:
- Father-son teams from Park City, UT and Louisville, CO, who want to spend serious bonding time over their shared passion.
- A man from Denver who has run for President of the United States, holds multiple Guinness World records and has been SCUBA diving with sharks.
- A family from Eagle, CO, whose daughter’s middle name is “Vail.”
- A student at Colorado State University who is currently studying abroad in France.
- An Odessa, FL couple of 32 years that is skipping Thanksgiving, which they had planned to host at their own house, to participate in the race.
- An airline pilot from Atlanta, GA who, at 47, is out to prove that older guys have still got it by doing a board slide in the terrain park of every mountain.
- A family from St. Paul, Minnesota that is new to the Epic Pass family, courtesy of Afton Alps, and excited to explore every Epic resort.
- A couple from Lake Tahoe who got engaged at Heavenly and will use the race as the honeymoon they never took.
- A woman from New Jersey whose second date with Mr. Right will be the Epic Race.