With the 100,000 fans mark now passed, research by Skiinfo.com, a division of Mountain News Corporation, has found that Mammoth has been overtaken by its neighbour to the north, Heavenly and joined by Vail and Canada’s Whistler as the four resorts with a six figure Facebook fan base.
Eight of the top 10 resorts for fans are all in North America with all but one of those in the USA and five of the top 15 are Vail Resorts properties, including top placed Heavenly as well as Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breckenridge and Northstar – possibly in part reflecting the popularity of the company’s Epic Mix partially social-networking based ticketing and community effort.
Chile's Valle Nevado is the top placed southern hemisphere and Megeve in France the highest non-North American resort for Facebook fans at number five.
The top 10 resorts for Facebook fan numbers have all now passed the 50,000 fans mark.
- Heavenly (USA); facebook.com/heavenlymountain (122,291 Likes)
- Mammoth Mountain (USA); facebook.com/MammothMTN (117,247)
- Vail (USA); facebook.com/vailmtn (112,855)
- Whistler (Canada); facebook.com/whistlerblackcomb (105,601)
- Megeve (France); facebook.com/megeve (80,712)
- Breckenridge (USA); facebook.com/Breckenridge (79,896)
- Valle Nevado (Chile); facebook.com/pages/Valle-Nevado-Ski-Resort (78,385)
- Jackson Hole (USA); facebook.com/ jacksonhole (75,632)
- Keystone (USA); facebook.com/Keystone (65,019)
- Grandvalira (Andorra); facebook.com/Grandvalira (57,997)
- Northstar at Tahoe (USA); facebook.com/Northstar (54,692)
- Saalbach Hinterglemn (Austria); facebook.com/ saalbachhinterglemm (52,195)
- Vallnord (Andorra); facenbook.com/vallnord (49,480)
- Mountain High (USA); facebook.com/mthigh (46,392)
- Squaw Valley (USA); facebook.com/squawvalley (44,562)
- Beaver Creek (USA); facebook.com/beavercreek (43,375)
- Are (Sweden); facebook.com/skistarare (37,519)
- Bukovel (Ukraine); facebook.com/bukovel (37,509)
- Sun Valley (USA); facebook.com/ sunvalley (36,815)
- Ischgl (Austria); facebook.com/ paznaun.ischgl (36,813)
- Killington (USA); facebook.com/killingtonresort (36,715)
- Mountain Creek (USA); facebook.com/MountainCreekNJ (36,006)
- Aspen (USA); facebook.com/Aspen/Snowmass (34,494)
- Sugarloaf (USA); facebook.com/sugarloaf (33,844)
- Solden (Austria); facebook.com/soelden.oetztal (30,191)
- Sunday River (USA); facebook.com/sundayriver (29,732)
- Perisher (Australia); facebook.com/perishereresort (27,709)
- Hemsedal (Norway); facebook.com/hemsedal (26,992)
- Tignes (France); facebook.com/Alpe-dHuez-Officiel (26,870)
- Kitzbuhel (Austria); facebook.com/kitzbuehel (25,718)
- Laax (Switzerland); facebook.com/LAAX (23,262)
By contrast most of the better known resorts in Europe are a long way behind North America with the exception of Andorra’sd two large ski areas and Saalbach Hinterglemm in Austria, all around the 50,000 fans mark and in the world top 11. After these the most popular Facebook pages in Europe are for the top resort in Scandinavia and in Ukraine- only 10 fans apart at the time of compilation.
Of the best know resorts in Western Europe Zermatt has over 14,000 followers and La Plagne has more than 13,000 Facebook followers. St Anton has more than 12,000 followers, Courchevel 10,700 and Mayrhofen has just passed 7,000 followers, just behind St Moritz with 7,400 then Verbier has 4,646 followers.
It can also be hard to track down resorts on Facebook without a direct link to the correct page from their website. Facebook.com/Chamonix for example take you to registered nurse Chamonix Roberts, a Lady Ga Ga fan based in Salt Lake City while www.facebook.com/valdisere takes you to Arpin Bruno’s Facebook page – a large gentleman in a day glo green Borat-style unitard.
Although more than 1,000 ski resorts now have Facebook pages many have made little use of social networking, including some famous name resorts.
Twitter and YouTube are less popular and at the other end of the scale from Heavenly, Alpine Valley in Wisconsin has six followers on Twitter and has made one tweet so far in January this year.