Monday, February 14, 2011

2011 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships Day 8: Norwegian Aksel Lund Svindal won the gold medal

Aksel Lund Svindal lead after the Downhill on Kandahar and was still first after his Slalom run down the Gudiberg course in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The Norwegian defended his title of 2009 won in Val d'Isere and is the old and new World Champion of the Super Combined. "I crashed two days ago in the downhill and I wasn’t sure if I could ski after that. The knees were bothering me, but a lot of treatment up until the race and then I nailed it, so I’m definitely psyched", Svindal said. "I wanted to show again that I could ski fast in downhill and I did. Then I managed to put together a slalom run, too, so I’m pretty excited".
Italians Christof Innerhofer and Peter Fill won silver and bronze. Innerhofer completed a full medal set, consisting of gold, silver and bronze at the 2011 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships.
"After the gold medal I was so relaxed and I said, yeah, I have two chances more. I think that I must go really well in downhill when I want to make the medal, but in the downhill I was so tired after the middle, the last 100 meters I couldn’t stay in position. I said, ‘Hey Christof, how do you do the slalom when you’re so tired in the downhill?’ It’s crazy", Innerhofer said, adding that before Monday, he had "a bad feeling" all season on his slalom skis. "I had not [done] slalom for two weeks. So I said ‘yeah, you come here, you don’t know how you ski,’ this is better than skiing with a bad feeling. And for Peter, yeah, I’m so happy for him. We’re in the room together and he’s great people. It is just unbelievable".
Innerhofer and Fill stood on their podium steps coordinating arm motions to incite a wave in the crowd. Fill said winning the bronze medal – the second of his career after his silver in the 2009 super G – was especially dear after having a less-than-ideal season with no podiums on the World Cup and with his father very ill in the hospital. "My father is now in the hospital two months, it was a hard time for me, now I hope it’s going better for him. It was not an easy season. Now I think it’s in the right place –the podium", said Fill, adding that he would leave Tuesday to visit his father and share his good news in person. "I hope it’s going better now and I hope to share this happiness with him".


From February 7th to February 20th 2011 Garmisch-Partenkirchen will again be center of the Ski World during the 41st FIS Alpine World Ski Championships. Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the former twin cities "under the Zugspitze", is one of the most famous winter sport resorts of the whole alpine region. Olympic Winter Games in 1936, Arlberg Kandahar races since 1954, FIS Ski World Cups since 1970 , FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in 1978 and FIS Alpine Junior World Ski Championships in 2009 the list of events shows why Garmisch-Partenkirchen is also called the cradle of ski racing in Germany. 525 athletes -208 ladies and 317 men- from 69 nations, more than any from the last five world alpine ski championships, will be competing for medals in Garmisch-Partenkirchen 2011. The event also welcomes 1,170 media representatives, a record for a World Alpine Ski Championship.
33 FIS World Championships medals will be awarded as the competition schedule includes five Ladies' and five Men's events as well as the co-ed nations' team event. The nations' team event will be staged for the third time since its introduction in Bormio (ITA) in 2005 and successful second edition in Are (SWE) in 2007 after inclement weather forced cancellation in Val d’Isére (FRA) in 2009. For the first time, however, the event will be carried out in the Parallel Giant Slalom format.

No comments: