Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2011 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships Day 2: Elisabeth Goergl Took Gold on the Super-G

Elisabeth Goergl had a memorable 24 hours from the Opening Ceremony of the 2011 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in Garmisch-Partenkirchen through the Women’s Super-G, which opened the racing program Today.
First, she sang the official Championship song "You’re the Hero (Between Heaven and Hell)" as the grand finale of the Opening Ceremony on Monday night, then she went to the Kandahar slope to win her first World Championship gold medal Today. "I just have a little bit of goose bumps to realize that", Goergl said about going from her rock star stage debut to winning a gold medal. "This course was good for me – hard, icy, technical, I knew I could ski it well. – I just don’t know what to say about any of this. It is just an amazing time for me". Goergl, racing in her 5th World Championships (she won a bronze medal in Super-combined in 2009 at Val d’Isere), put her forehead on her skis and cried tears of joy. The emotional wave continued when her own song came onto the loud speakers during the flower ceremony and she broke down again. "They didn’t play it as loud as I wanted to hear it", Goergl joked later. "No … it is crazy. It’s a great thing and a great day for me".
Julia Mancuso, also racing in her fifth world championships, finished just 0.05 seconds behind Goergl for the silver, her 4th Championship medal."I think this hill is good for me. They put a lot of effort into making the hills perfect and making them a little more challenging when it comes to the championships. That’s in my favor. I like the hard runs", Mancuso said.
Maria Riesch, smiling ear-to-ear while marching through her hometown waving the German flag at the Opening Ceremony, was able to take a deep breath of relief Today, when she blazed down the icy Kandahar to earn the bronze medal, 0.21 seconds off the lead pace. "It’s a very good start. I’m very happy with that run", Riesch said. "It takes out a lot of pressure to win a medal in the very first event. It was a tough race and I’m so happy I did a good run and can get a medal tonight". With temperatures reaching almost 20 degrees Celsius all week and then falling well below freezing at night, Riesch said she hasn’t often seen her home race hill in such icy, bumpy shape as it is for the championships. "I’ve seen it like that just for the men’s races – it was really tough, bumpy and icy. For me, that was not a disadvantage. I like these conditions, although it’s not feeling so perfect when you’re skiing down".
Tomorrow, 9th of February, Men's will start their race action with the Super-G.



From February 7th to February 20th 2011 Garmisch-Partenkirchen will again be center of the Ski World during the 41st FIS Alpine World Ski Championships. Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the former twin cities "under the Zugspitze", is one of the most famous winter sport resorts of the whole alpine region. Olympic Winter Games in 1936, Arlberg Kandahar races since 1954, FIS Ski World Cups since 1970 , FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in 1978 and FIS Alpine Junior World Ski Championships in 2009 the list of events shows why Garmisch-Partenkirchen is also called the cradle of ski racing in Germany. 525 athletes from 69 nations, more than any from the last five world alpine ski championships, will be competing for medals in Garmisch-Partenkirchen 2011. The event also welcomes 1,170 media representatives, a record for a World Alpine Ski Championship.

No comments: