The best freeriders on the planet are already gearing up for their shot at the prestigious Freeride World Tour 2011 title and more than $250,000 USD in prize money on the new six-stop international tour.
Reigning World Champions Candide Thovex, FRA (men’s ski), Ane Enderud, NOR (women’s ski), Xavier de Le Rue, FRA (men’s snowboard), and Aline Bock GER (women’s snowboard) will be back on the 2011 tour to defend their title against an international field of skiers and snowboarders that are all hungry for the world’s ultimate freeride title.
Men's Ski Freeride World Tour 2010 was one of the most exciting editions of FWT history with the final crown being won in a close competition by French skiing icon Candide Thovex in his rookie year on the tour. The 2011 Tour will be even more competitive with 2008 World Champion and 2010 third-place finisher Henrik Windstedt (SWE), more committed than ever, and 2009 winner Aurélien Ducroz, from Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, in France, hungry to regain his title, starting off the season in his home town.
The Women’s events have been expanded to include three Freeride World Tour events; Chamonix, Kirkwood and Verbier, and three 4-star Freeride World Qualifier events. This new format will open the competition to many more of the growing number of outstanding women freeriders and will result in increased media focus, spotlighting what is sure to be a very exciting women’s tour.
The 2011 Freeride World Tour six stages:
1. Nissan Freeride de Chamonix-Mont-Blanc 2011 by Swatch (FRA) Date: 22 January 2011
2. Nissan Engadin Freeride St. Moritz 2011 by Swatch (SUI)Date: 29 January 2011
3. North American Championships Kirkwood 2011 by Swatch (USA)Date: 26 February (Ski only) 2011
North Face Masters Kirkwood 2011 by Swatch (USA) Dates: 5 March (Snowboard only)
4. Nissan Russian Adventure Sochi 2011 (RUS)Date: 19 February 2011
5. Big Mountain Fieberbrunn 2011 by Nissan (AUT) Date: 12 March 2011
6. Nissan Xtreme Verbier 2011 by Swatch (SUI) Date: 19 March 2011 (Finals)