- Participating in the events and activities associated with the torch relay when it passes through the country’s provinces and territories prior to the 2010 Winter Games.
- Establishing informational displays in Vancouver and/or Whistler during the Games to showcase local cultural performers and athletes.
- Ensuring provincial and territorial Aboriginal participation in the 2010 Winter Games and in events leading up to the Games.
- Showcasing provincial and territorial artists and arts organizations.
- Developing initiatives that promote tourism, immigration, trade and investment.
- Promoting educational and volunteer opportunities relating to sport and culture, and encouraging healthy lifestyles.
Once an MOU is signed, an individual province or territory can choose to become part of the Contributing Province/Territory Program(CPTP). Under the CPTP, participating provinces and territories make a financial contribution toward the success of Canadian athletes in 2010 through the Own the Podium 2010 program, and toward culture and arts through the Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad program.
“The Olympic and Paralympic Games represent an opportunity for all of Canada to be showcased on the world stage and we invite Canadians, wherever they live, to play an active role (...) The 2010 Winter Games will be Canada’s Games" said John Furlong VANOC Chief Executive Officer.